Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thermal Bath 2: Széchenyi

The plan was to go to one of the few baths on the Pest side, and one of the largest in Europe, as well as one of the newest in Hungary, being "only" just over 100 years old, although it has been added to several times since it was built in 1913. It is situated in the expanse of City Park, which is able to contain its 18 pools and 10 saunas and steam rooms. Named after a politician, statesman, theorist and writer, who presumably bathed as well, Széchenyi baths are truly spectacular.

Or at least, I think they are. I don't know exactly because on my way towards City Park I stumbled upon a large Christmas market with wonderful crafts and foods, mulled wine and the best grog I've ever had (with freshly muddled ginger and a slice of lime). It was cold and the coin toss between warm lights and hot drinks won out over bathing in the outdoors.


Next time, Széchenyi, you are mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment